The Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy is an independent think tank doing legal research and assisting the government in making better laws. Vidhi is committed to producing legal research of the highest standard with the aim of informing public debate and contributing to improved governance. Vidhi works with Ministries of the Government of India and State Governments, as well as other public institutions, providing research and drafting support at various stages of law-making. Vidhi also conducts and freely disseminates independent research in areas of legal reform which it believes is critical to India’s future.
Vidhi is an equal opportunity employer and neither practices nor tolerates any kind of discriminatory behaviour.
The Public Law vertical focuses on issues of constitutional law, administrative law and allied issues in public policy. The vertical works on engaged projects with Government Ministries and Commissions, providing research and drafting support at various stages of law-making.
The Fellow will work on a project looking at decriminalisation of drug consumption in India, and will be expected to;
- undertake legal and policy research (analysis of judgments, documenting legislative developments and executive action)
- research on international policy on drug prohibition and legalisation
- coordinate meetings with government officials and other stakeholders
- prepare quality reports
- undergraduate and/or postgraduate degree in Law (a master’s degree will be preferred)
- 0-3 years of demonstrable work experience (those with work experience will be preferred, and an LLM will be considered as work experience)
- good research and writing skills
- excellent communication skills
- Experience in interacting with Government Officials, Civil Society groups, and concerned stakeholders
- Prior experience in data gathering and empirical research methods
- Prior publications in journals and newspapers
This is a position based out of New Delhi. The Fellow will be engaged in this position for a duration of six months. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Interested candidates should send only electronic copies of the following to email@example.com with the subject line “Application for Project Fellow – Criminal Justice”
1) Latest Curriculum Vitae (CV) in not more than two A4 pages;
2) A brief statement of motivation in applying for the position (not to exceed 500 words)
3) A recent writing sample of not more than 1000 words
4) Names and contact details of two referees
The deadline to submit applications is 26th May 2019.
Queries may be sent only through e-mail, addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.